Saturday, January 5, 2008

In loving memory



Today family and friends gathered for food, laughs, tears, and a dance in memory of my brother Randy Roderick. In late September Randy was diagnosed with mesothelioma. He passed away December 21 surrounded by family and close friends.

Randy will always be remembered for his contributions to his community, his incredible talent, and his ability to make everyone laugh. Every time I think of him (which is constantly) I think of something silly we did together and smile and laugh.

I thought it would be fun to make a short list of the things I would thank my brother for if he were here now.

1. Thank you for putting a helmet on me before hitting me with a hockey stick when I was a toddler.

2. Thank you for putting up with me and taking (mostly) good care of me when you were forced to babysit me.

3. Thank you for dangling spit over my face and (almost always) sucking it back up before it hit my nose, for frightening me regularly as a kid with the knife-under-the-armpit ketchup all over the place trick, and for all of the times you were kind enough to wake me up early by putting your foot in my face...........

Now seriously....

Thank you for being with me when mom died

Thank you for all of the great times (I loved visiting you in California)

Thank you for being a part of my children's lives

and most of all, Thank you for allowing me to help take care of you and stay so close to you during the last few months. I love you! See you again someday!

3 comments:

momto2boys said...

I am so sorry about the loss of your brother....

kymmiej said...

Ahh...the foot to the face! Even more special when wearing the cow slipper! I remember it well! lol
And that trip to Cali was the best vacation I ever had. He took us to so many amazing places!
I was thinking about when I was really little and use to go to the WERC with my uncle Billy. I use to follow Randy around constantly. lol He was always good to me!
Love ya!

JJDerek said...

I am so sorry about your brother but it sounds like you had some really nice memories of him. That's whats important now...and to share them with the girls.